Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Anniversaries galore

Yesterday, the 23rd was Nick's and my 3-year anniversary of the day we met. We both agree that some days it feels like we've known each other forever and other days it doesn't seem like it could possibly be that long since the fateful night. I suppose most people feel that way. Time flies some days and drags others and that's universal.

On the 26th it will be our 5-month wedding anniversary. That's crazy too. It usually seems like we've been married forever and the two weddings were a lifetime ago. Stress will do that to you, I guess. Time is apparently manipulated by the amount of stress associated with it. Makes sense, right?

And finally, the sad anniversary. On the 27th it will be two years since we lost my Nana. That one is the hardest and will remain difficult for many years I'm sure. Most days it feels like I could just pick up the phone and call her and she'd answer. I wish that were true. I just want to talk to her one more time. There is so much I need to tell her! It's funny though, just when I've been thinking about her and missing her so much, she'll let me know she's still here. Sometimes it's a penny. Last night it was a song. It's called "One More Day" by Diamond Rio and it seems to come on at the most interesting times. God, I miss her.

On a lighter note (don't we all need a lighter note at times?), Nick and I got our first time homebuyers refund check. $8000! Yay! Now, to decide what to do with all that money . . . Originally the plan was to spend it on the house. However, Nick and I didn't get a big honeymoon and we're getting ready to start a family, so our time-for just the two of us-is getting shorter. We've decided that it's time to fulfill one of our travel dreams: we're going to Paris. We are most likely going to do the Rick Steve's tour that includes Paris and the Loire River Valley. It's going to be expensive and completely amazing. It will include the usual tours of Paris and trips to Chenonceaux, Chambord, Brittany, Mont St. Michel, and the D-Day beaches at Normandy. The tour has the perfect amount of culture and history to appeal to both Nick and me and it's something we both have been wanting to do for a long time. Now, for me, England, Ireland, and Scotland would be a first choice with France coming in a close second, but Nick has promised that we will do England/Wales at least before our 5-year wedding anniversary, so I'm content with our choice. It may not be the most practical way to spend this money, but I know for a fact that money spent on experiences is not regretted or wasted. So Europe in the fall: here we come!

No comments:

Post a Comment