Friday, February 20, 2009

Food!

Well, we had our tasting yesterday. It was a little strange! They send a chef out to your house to cook the menu for you. The food is mostly prepared, it just needs to be heated through. So the guy shows up to our house. He's very skinny, shaved head, and covered in tattoos. I have to say, I was a little nervous! After chatting with him for a while, we found out that he is a really nice guy and much less scary than his appearance suggested. 

Even better than him being a great guy, he is a wonderful cook. Mom, Jake, Nick, and I were served turkey, spiced apple stuffing, garlic mashed potatoes, gravy, sweet potatoes (not yams, but chunks of potatoes covered in a maple glaze-SO good!), and our mixed greens salad with candied walnuts, gorgonzola cheese, and pear vinaigrette. We also have corn and rolls on the menu, plus a smoked salmon appetizer and a cheese platter, which we didn't need to taste. We were very happy with the tasting and now I need to set up a time to pay the down payment and iron out our itemized contract. Woohoo!

Still to do:
*Appraisal for the rings
*Wedding bands for Nick and I
*Finalize our guest list (we're at 98 now-although we know some aren't coming)
*Save the date magnets and invitations
*Honeymoon stuff--we need a travel agent!
*Figuring out flowers
*Veil, shoes, undergarments

That's it for now . . . as far as I know. It's all so much to deal with!

Cute story (that has nothing to do with the wedding): I had all my 10th graders do a positives list. They had to write one positive thing about everyone else in their class. Then I compiled the lists for each student so that it was completely anonymous. At the end of each list, I wrote something special for each individual student. It took about an hour for every 5 students and I have about 85 kids, very labor-intensive. I read my note to each student at their request, which made many of them cry. At the end of 6th period, after I had read my notes, the kids surprised me with a positives list they had created for me. They had typed it up and put some clip art on it and then had it laminated. 

This gift is one that I get to cherish after I'm done with teaching, and for that I'm grateful. I truly have some wonderful kids this year. And part of that wonderfulness is the fact that they know I truly care about them. I want them to succeed and some of them had never had anyone believe in them like they know I do. It makes them shine and they actually try to do better. It's amazing what believing in someone can do for his or her confidence. Life lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment