Sunday, July 12, 2009

Vacation!

Nick and I are finally going on a short vacation to Bend. Nick's been talking about going there for a long time now; it's one of his favorite places to visit. He used to ski all the time and so spent a lot of time in the little resort town. He's already created a list of things he wants to do and see while we are there, while I'm trying to convince him that vacation means VACATION, not rush around trying to do a million things. As long as I get to go outlet shopping and antiquing, I'll be happy.

This trip is going to be a crazy one. We are taking the route through Shaniko, which means we'll be going east over the pass instead of immediately south. Shaniko is a ghost town that we've been planning to visit for a long time now and I'm so excited to finally get to see it! Then Bend for 3 nights and a drive up the coast on the way home. Again, crazy. This is going to be a lot of driving! 

When we found out that Nick was going to have 4 days off, we made a list of places to go see. The Bend trip was the only one that didn't include flying. We talked Vegas, New York, historical east coast sites, California, etc. but I just didn't feel like dealing with the hassle of flying. This is strange for me, since I LOVE to fly, but we've got a honeymoon to Europe coming up in a few months and I think that will be enough flying to last me a little while. And realistically, Vegas was the real destination spot, the only one to which I typically fly, but I've done Vegas. I went every year for three years in a row. It gets old. And Nick and I don't gamble, so we would have had to plan to get a rental car to get off the strip and see some of the other sights, like Red Rock Canyon and some of the surrounding ghost towns. So, to make a long ramble short, Vegas was out and the other places just didn't sound like that much fun.

And finally: a wedding update. I still haven't ordered the invitations yet. Don't worry, I'm already punishing myself. This whole situation (including my to-do list) reminds me of being in college. I always left stuff to the last minute, due to the procrastinator in me, and spent countless all-nighters completing my 10 to 15-page essays. I was always successful, which doesn't discourage the procrastination, so now I've been conditioned to wait until the that very last second. (Like my long-winded explanation for being lazy? One of the reasons I did so well on those essays--I can B.S. my way through anything.) I can't do that with this wedding. Mom and I are hopefully going to look at some invitations next week, but with all the upcoming "stuff" (the Bend trip, Mom and Dad's cruise to Mexico-yes, they are finally taking a cruise!), I don't know if it will happen this week or next. Doesn't it take a few weeks for printing and mailing and all that too? Oh boy, I'm in trouble.

No comments:

Post a Comment