So, a recap of the day:
I went and got my nails done the day before, just French tips (in other words, just some paint). By the time I got out of the shower, it was all chipped so after doing my makeup, I ran out to Vivian and had her fix it. Then I was running a little late (shocking, I know) and made it home just in time for Laura to get there and do my hair. The photographers came at about 11:45 and took some pictures while my mom and the aunts were making the bouquet and loading the cars. Laura finished my hair around 12:15 and Nick and I left for Thornewood a few minutes after that.
Imagine our surprise when, 20 minutes later, we show up at Thornewood to find that no one else is there, even though the aunts left about 45 minutes before we did. My dad told them to go some ridiculous back way, which he also took, and I guess a road was closed or something. Anyway, Nick and I stood around and waited for about 15 minutes before anyone showed up. Can you say stressed? Everyone eventually came upstairs and my Aunt Kris and Mom started to lace me into my dress. And the breathing stopped there! We did photos in the room for a while and then decided to meet up with Nick and do some pictures outside. We hadn't really planned this well, as our wedding guests quickly found out.
We ended up walking through the ceremony area, where many of our guests were milling around. So much for the element of surprise, huh? After we were done with the outdoor photos (and I was sufficiently blinded, haha!) we walked back through the house, which was now filled with people. At this point, I was ready for the ceremony to be done. We were already married and only did the ceremony as a courtesy to the people who weren't at the Catholic one in September. I rushed my dad and mom upstairs, Dave was sent to the mantle and we got going right at 3. Not the original plan. We said 3, but intended to start at 3:15ish so that people wouldn't interrupt the ceremony by coming in through the creaky front doors. The doors ended up being a guest in and of themselves during our vows . . .
Poor Dave. We didn't give him a moment to prepare or rehearse, which we should have taken time to do and I forgot to tell everyone where I expected them to be before the ceremony, so Nick's parents were already seated when we got started. Once Nick and I were at the altar, Nick kept crowding Dave closer and closer to the fireplace, which caused him to sweat pretty profusely. We said our vows and skipped the prayer of the couple. Nick forgot to repeat after Dave and the door creaked open a few times for a few "late" (but not really) arrivals. If we weren't already married, I might have been frustrated, but as it was, I found it to be pretty funny. And it broke up any emotional moments we had, so it all worked out for the best.
The relief upon having the ceremony completed was amazing. Then we took a bunch more photos and rushed the caterer into having dinner completed by 4:15 since we started the ceremony early. I was concerned about down-time, but people seemed to be enjoying themselves. A few guests left after the ceremony was over, which was fine, and by the time dinner was started, we were down to 80 or so people.
(P.S. Having a Thanksgiving-style meal was genius on our part. Everyone loved it, as far as I know, and it was GOOD! Not like some dry, yucky food I've had at other weddings. Everyone likes turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, and sweet potatoes! And it's a good thing, because all the leftovers were sent home with us. We're going to be eating this stuff for DAYS!)
After dinner Nick and I gave our toasts. I started by thanking the aunts and my family and pointing out the missing guests, like my Nana, Grandpa Harvey, and Nick's grandma . . . Julianna. Unfortunately, her name wasn't in my head when I was talking and instead of Julianna, I said Gloria. As in Nick's mom. I won't be living that one down for years to come. After recovering my composure (a little bit-hard to recover completely when one of Nick's aunts kept teasing me and Gloria about it, haha), I thanked my wonderful husband, who then proceeded with his speech. He said some beautiful things about me, which made me cry and thanked the aunts, but forgot to thank his parents . . . poor Brad and Gloria! We also mistakenly gave Brad's boutonniere to Papa, so Brad didn't get one. I realize now the importance of a rehearsal. Thought I didn't need one and was SO wrong, haha! Oh well, it wouldn't be Nick's and my wedding without a few silly moments and a couple of hiccups.
We didn't have alcohol at the wedding (and we hope this didn't disappoint too many people, but my family doesn't really drink too much and it was very expensive to purchase, so we decided against it), but the sparkling cider was flowing and there were some beautiful toasts. Each of us had family say a few words: my dad, mom, brother, and aunt, and Nick's mom. Plus we had friends and loved ones give some wonderful toasts. Nick's friend Austin talked about their crazy adventures and then mentioned his late mother, which got Nick very misty. We really wish she could have been there. There were a lot of faces Nick and I would have given a lot to see . . .
After the emotional and funny toasts, we had pumpkin cheesecake (we also have a LOT of those leftover and 10 bottles of sparkling cider too-anyone want to have a cider and cheesecake party?), which I thought was a hit. Way better than wedding cake! Then it was mingling and thanking people for coming. Nick and I were at the end of our ability to function by this point and starting to say our good nights before we climbed the stairs with our photographers for a few last photos. All of my family, except my wedding coordinating aunts were already gone. We were all exhausted from the planning and running and stress of the last few days. This wedding was paid for and planned completely between me, my mom, and my aunts, so exhaustion was absolutely the word of the hour. I think the aunts corralled everyone out by 7ish and then we had Thornewood almost to ourselves.
The last wedding photo we took was of Nick cutting me out of the wedding dress. Yes, he cut my laces because I hadn't breathed or peed for over 7 hours at that point. Before that we took some fun photos of our tired selves. I am so, so excited to get those back in 4-6 weeks! We invited our photographer, Ryan, and his girlfriend, Robin, to come visit us in the new house when the photos are done, so we'll hopefully be able to have a nice salmon dinner with them in a month or so.
Overall, we had a great time. I hope that everyone else did too! We were trying for an intimate family-style wedding, so I hope that's how it came off. Big thanks to my family and my aunts for making it all possible and for helping it to run as smoothly as it did. They took care of all the little details so that I only had to worry about not tripping down the 500-year-old staircase with my dad as we walked in. They also helped clean up and loaded all the gifts and cards, leftover food, and favors into the cars. They mingled and kept the party going and saved my mom tons of stress, as this was way out of our comfort zone. They made it fun and I LOVE them for it!
Also, thanks to our guests. We love everyone that came to the wedding and each of you is meaningful to us in some way, so sharing this day with you was so special for Nick and me. Thank you cards will be in the mail as soon as I can find some time between moving and Nick having his final board of evaluators meeting (WOO-HOO!), which means he'll be off the job's probationary period very soon! Hopefully in the next two weeks I will have those in the mail.
Thanks again for being there for our special day. We love you all!
No comments:
Post a Comment