Saturday, January 2, 2010

Puppy=Baby

And baby is a full-time job! Since my childhood I've always had more than one dog at a time. I never realized just how much babysitting an older dog can do with a puppy. But Gus is an only child (at the moment) and wants Mommy to entertain and play with him all the time. I'm exhausted! But it's so completely worth it!

Nick worked a 12-hour shift last night and didn't get home until a little after 6 this morning, so Gus and I have been trying to be quiet all morning (actually, I've been trying to keep Gus quiet all morning). Now Gus has taken to running around the back yard and lying in the grass to chew on sticks. Last night I realized that he had some sap on his belly, so I thought I'd give him a bath this morning. HA! The bath went okay, he was actually pretty calm, but the aftermath . . . that was a different story. It was like there was crack in the bath water! He spent the next half hour freaking out, running around the house like a bat out of hell, attacking Budda, and jumping on me. It was so hilarious! So next time I bathe him, I'm going to videotape the aftermath. The best part is right now: his fuzzy, fluffy butt is passed out on the couch, curled up in a blanket. I am so in love with this little guy!

He was my New Year's date this year as well. Nick worked his regular (6pm-2am) shift, so Gus and I rang in the New Year in our very raucous neighborhood. They lit off fireworks on the street behind us until 1 in the morning. Not such a big deal except for the fact that it terrified Gus. He refused to go outside at all, however, seemed fine once in the house with the door closed. I knew he had to go poop though and was watching him closely. At one point he ran into the hallway and started to hunch, so I yelled no and ran outside with him. Poor thing was so scared and kept running around the deck, but I kept telling him it was okay and I wasn't going to let him in until he went poop. I think he was either desperate or understood me somehow because he finally went out in the yard, turned in a circle and did his business then streaked for the door to be let in. We've had so few accidents and I think for a 9-week old puppy he's incredibly smart and a quick learner. He knows to go to the door when he has to go potty, he just doesn't always make it in time. I need to teach him to scratch at the door so I know he's there. The next job: crate training. That's going to be interesting . . .

In other news: Nick has the next three days off, so we're finally going to have some time to spend together. With all the holidays and Nick working a crazy amount of overtime, it feels like I never get to see him. We're going to drop Gus off with my parents today and then we're going shopping for a new mattress and I think we might also have lunch or something together. Tomorrow Nick's parents are coming over to exchange gifts, so I have to spend some time straightening the house up and Nick is going to put together the rest of my bookcases for the library/office. And Monday is a do-nothing day. This probably doesn't sound very exciting to most people, but it means a lot of quality time spent with my husband, so I'm happy.

I hope everyone had a great Christmas and will have a wonderful New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment